Who can acquire Portuguese Nationality
- A foreigner who has been Portuguese but lost his nationality when was a child or incapacitated, as a result of declaration by his representative, mat acquire again a Portuguese nationality if he declares it, when he is capable of doing so, provided that there are no circumstances that are reasons for opposing the acquisition of nationality – articles 4 and 9 of the Nationality Law and article 15 of the Nationality Regulation.
- A woman who has lost her Portuguese nationality due to having acquired a foreign nationality, on the basis of marriage to a foreigner, under the terms of Law no 2098, of 29 July 1959, and previous legislation may reacquire Portuguese nationality by a declaration – article 30 of the Nationality Law and article 65 of the Nationality Regulation.
- Those who, having had Portuguese nationality, lost it because they had voluntarily acquired a foreign nationality, under the terms of Law no. 2098, of 29 July 1959, and previous legislation, acquire Portuguese nationality by means of a declaration, when the definitive registration of the loss of nationality has been made - no. 1 al. b) article of the 31st Law of Nationality and article 67 of the Regulation of Nationality.
- Individuals who have had Portuguese nationality and who, having lost it, have never acquired another nationality, as long as they are adults or emancipated under Portuguese law, have not been convicted of a crime punishable by a prison sentence of a maximum of three years or more, according to Portuguese law, by means of a request addressed to the Minister of Justice – article 6 no. 3 of the Law of Nationality and article 21 of the Regulation of Nationality.
Where can i apply?
- Civil Registry Office of your choice;
- Extension of the Central Registry Office located at the CNAI
How can it get lost?
- Filling in the form of an approved form, enclosing the necessary documents. The request may be sent by mail to the Central Registry Office or to one of the Nationality branches.
- By a declaration in the relevant department by the person concerned, where he can go to obtain information or make an application.